POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 06:28:23
Message: <3c0f558d.1210938@news.povray.org>
On 5 Dec 2001 19:28:54 -0500, Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg>
wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 00:21:18 GMT, Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce wrote:
>> little slower because we can't include anything that is not
>> portable... like a jit-compiler system for this shading-scripts for
>> example)
>That's where you're wrong.  JIT is acceptable as a platform-specific
>extension, because it doesn't keep anyone from using the shaders on
>a platform that doesn't have JIT yet.
Mhm, why asm-optimization where not acceptable, and something that
involves translating stuff into native-code asm is acceptable now?

>> Really? I didn't know that... As I sayied in another post, I would
>> really like to have a tech doc about povray... :/
>Well, it's not in the source code that's accessible to the public yet
>anyway; this is a new feature in 3.5.

>>>: 4) Blurred reflection
>>>  You can already do blurred reflection (see my other post where I show
>>>an example). You can also make blurred refraction currently as well.
>> I know, but as U can read in another reply, you can do it via a trick,
>> and I don't know why I should do that via a trick...
>Define "trick."  You do it via a process that very closely resembles
>the actual physical process that causes blurred reflection.  I fail to
>see how that can be considered a "trick."

From the povray VFAQ:

The ***trick*** is to use averaged textures with differing normals:
When POV-Ray calculates the color of an averaged texture map, it has
to calculate the color of each texture individually before it can
average them. If the textures are reflective, it has to shoot a
reflected ray for each texture in order to get its color. The trick
exploits this behaviour in order to achieve blurred reflection by
shooting many reflected rays: The idea is to create many identical
textures but with slightly differing normals and then average them,
which causes POV-Ray to shoot a reflected ray for each one of them.
So you can implement this ***trick*** like this:
#declare BlurAmount = .2; // How blurred the reflection should be
#declare BlurSamples = 40; // How many reflected rays to shoot
object
{ MyObject
  texture
  { average texture_map
    { #declare Ind = 0;
      #declare S = seed(0);
      #while(Ind < BlurSamples)
        [1 pigment { ObjectPigment } // The pigment of the object here

           finish { ObjectFinish } // The finish; should have
reflection
           normal
           { bumps BlurAmount
             translate <rand(S),rand(S),rand(S)>*10
             scale 1000
           }
        ]
        #declare Ind = Ind+1;
      #end
    }
  }
}

>> Actually someone proposed to make a .NET tool... I think that a java
>> tool will be really good, as java has networking features and it's
>> portable and secure for that
>Such tools are the province of third-party developers.  The POV-Team
>works on POV, not on the various frontends for it.  It's possible that
>a future version will include some sort of cross-platform TCP/IP support,
>if that's feasible, but nobody's making any promises.

I know that this is more a stuff for 3rd party developers... But since
is a so important feature mabye it should be in the povteam todo
list... (also because I know that if a 3rd party dev. will make that
tool surely U won't add it to the current distro, even if it's so
important... Mhmm)

>> So at last I think I made a reasonable wish list here... Who knows,
>> mabye someone of the pov-team will listen to my wishes somedays...
>You've been engaged in a flame war with at least two members of the
>POV-Team, and more than one member of the POV TAG.  Didn't you know that?
Flame war... it seems too much for a simple, polite, discussion about
some topics of povray development... Well if someone here thinks that
this is a flame war I'll go away, that wasn't my objective, and if I
have to flame to say my opinion about povray features, and to say that
imho there is something that is still lacking, well I really don't
want to...